"Words - so innocent and powerless as they are, as standing in a dictionary, how potent for good and evil they become in the hands of one who knows how to combine them."
- Nathaniel Hawthorne






Monday, June 7, 2010

Welcome to My Adventure!

“A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.” - Lao-tzu

Welcome to the very first post on my very first blog. Never having blogged before, I'm not quite sure what to say. I've kept journals off and on for the last twenty years, but I never expected those words to be viewed by any eyes besides my own. So it is with some trepidation that I begin this new “adventure” in my life.

I began my journey over a year ago, when I decided to finally finish my bachelor's degree and change the direction of my career. Before that, I was just wandering around without a map. I've taken a few small steps, but never managed to get so far from my own yard that I couldn't turn around and go back. Stuck in a rut? Yes, but it's MY rut! There is comfort in predictability. On the other hand, it's cramped, it's restricting, the view's not so great, and sometimes it floods. But somehow, I never managed to dislike it enough to want to get out.

Fiction is my escape. It's so much easier and safer to read about someone else's life than to go out and live my own. Like Kathleen Kelly in You've Got Mail, I have to wonder sometimes, “do I do it because I like it, or because I haven't been brave?” I admit it, I'm afraid. I'm afraid of striking out into the unknown. I'm afraid of confronting my own laziness and fears, my lack of motivation, my inadequacies, all the things I just don't know. I wonder sometimes if I'm afraid to succeed, or if I'm afraid it will hurt too much when I fail.

Some people choose their careers because they want to make a difference in someone's life. Well, it's time to make a difference in my own life. No more excuses! When I made the choice to give up accounting for communications, I made the commitment to go after the life I want. It's time to keep those promises I made to myself. Learning how to blog is one of those promises. So welcome to my journey, and thank you for walking along with me for a few of those steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment