"Words - so innocent and powerless as they are, as standing in a dictionary, how potent for good and evil they become in the hands of one who knows how to combine them."
- Nathaniel Hawthorne






Monday, June 14, 2010

Planning Proposal: Email Communications

Introduction

Ashford University's internet-based educational environment appeals to working adults who need to balance education with supporting themselves and their families. Ashford has promised to provide accessible, affordable and high-quality degree programs that will enable us to improve our careers. Unfortunately, the advisors are not always quite so accessible. Since many of us work during the same hours as the advisors, we are not always free to contact them when they are available. Ashford University can better meet the needs of its working students by implementing a policy that allows us to indicate a preference for email or telephone communication.

Statement of Problem

On the occasions when I have tried to reach an advisor by phone, I usually have to leave a voice mail message, and wait for a return call. Even though calls are generally returned within a reasonable amount of time, I am not necessarily available by the time the call is returned. Many adult students work during the day, frequently in jobs where personal phone calls are discouraged during the working day. Due to my work schedule, and the need to budget cell phone minutes, I use email frequently to communicate. Unfortunately, when I email my Ashford University advisors, I rarely receive any kind of response. When I do receive a reply, it is a generic request to call if I need assistance. While the classes work reasonably well with my work schedule, I don't feel that I am receiving adequate support from my advisors.

Proposed Solution

Students should be given the option to identify a preference for communications. Advisors should be instructed to communicate with students by email, when the student indicates that preference. Advisors should not automatically assume that the students will be able to call when they need assistance.

It's true that a phone conversation is more efficient than an email exchange in dealing with complex matters. It can be difficult to give advice without asking additional questions. Complex issues are more quickly and easily dealt with over the phone, because of the immediate response. But students with a busy schedule may need to wait several days before they have time to speak to an advisor. For these students, an emailed query may bring a faster response. Using email instead of phones takes no more time from a busy work day, and costs less than a long-distance phone call.

Students may also feel more comfortable communicating via email. Many of the people who are drawn to an on-line education are introverts, who enjoy working on their own. “Introverts like e-learning more than extroverts as there is less face-to-face interaction with people” (Naish, 2009, pg. 8). For these students, email is a more comfortable way to communicate, precisely because it lacks the intimacy of a phone conversation. According to Laurie Pawlick-Keinlan, “introverts may prefer written communication because it’s less stimulating” (2007).

Conclusion

The world is full of people, each with a differing personality. What works for one person may not work well for another. While extroverts likely prefer to interact face-to-face or over the phone, introverts sometimes feel threatened by such personal interaction. One college student is so introverted that he refuses to make a phone call, and rarely answers the phone unless he knows who's calling. Not all introverts are so extreme, certainly. But we each benefit from having choices. So please give us the choice about how to communicate with our advisors.

References

Naish, R.. (2009, May). It takes all sorts. E.learning Age, 8-9. Retrieved March 15, 2010, from ABI/INFORM Global. (Document ID: 1737418091).

Pawlik-Kienlen, L. (2007). How introverts communicate; 10 tips on talking to people with introverted personality traits. Retrieved March 15, 2010 from http://behavioural- psychology.suite101.com/article.cfm/how_introverts_communicate.

No comments:

Post a Comment